ESSEX Nov.67

News and Information relative to the members of this forum

ESSEX Nov.67

Postby Okie » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:55 pm

First time on site, served with 2/5 Hotel 1967 would like to hear from anyone who did Operation ESSEX , first day Nov.6,67. I was hit on Liberty Road 12-28-67 med vac out. Thanks
Okie

OPERATION ESSEX

Postby (SGT) JIM COLTON » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:48 am

I WAS ON OPERATION ESSEX. NOT FOR VERY LONG. I WAS ATTACHED TO HOTEL 2/5; I WAS A PHOTOGRAPHER WITH THE FIRST MAR DIV PHOTO UNIT. WE LANDED THAT MORNING, NOV. 6, AND HAD JUST STARTED TO SWEEP THIS VILLAGE, WHEN ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE. THE WHOLE DAY WAS A MESS. THAT NIGHT WE HAD MANY GUYS EITHER KILLED OR WOUNDED. I WAS GOING TO TRY AND GET SOME SLEEP, BECAUSE I HAD TO TAKE SOMEONE ELSE'S PLACE, GUARDING WHAT WE HAD AS A COMMAND POST. I WAS JUST ABOUT TO FALL ASLEEP, WHEN A BURST OF GUNFIRE INTERRUPTED ME. AS I GOT UP TO DIVE FOR A TRENCHLINE, I GOT HIT. MY FRIEND, CPL JEFF AULT, PULLED ME IN THE FOXHOLE. WE WEREN'T ABLE TO GET ANY CHOPPERS IN, BECAUSE THE LAST ONE HAD TAKEN SOME ROUNDS. THE REST OF THE NIGHT , TO ME, WAS TERRIBLE. I WAS IN AND OUT OF COUNCIUSNESS, MOST OF THE TIME. I FINALLY GOT EVACED THE FOLLOWING MORNING.
(SGT) JIM COLTON

Note from Jim Colton

Postby oconnor » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:48 am

Jim, I would like to email you. My email is oconnor1152@charter.net
oconnor

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:44 pm

I am seeking information about a high school friend, Cpl Ralf Saunders, KIA 6 Nov 67. I believe this is the unit he was with and I think it happened at the beginning of ESSEX. I was with the Army in another area of Nam at the time and did not hear about it till sometime later. I remember some of our conversations and I have always wondered what happened.
If anyone was there and can talk about it, please email me at Phuloi68@gmail.com

ESSEX, 1st day and all the days

Postby Eugene Meiners » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:00 pm

lOkie, you wanted to talk about ESSEX. I was there with Hotel. Still bothers me but can talk. eugenemeiners@yahoo.com
Eugene Meiners

Re: ESSEX Nov.67

Postby BLINDMAN » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:40 am

just out of curiosity, was it you and myself in the chopper that landed and you helped me up after the wind from the rotors blew me off the dyke. i was in essexfrom start to finish, i was with the 2nd platoon. as soon as we landed i was sent out on perimeter duty. god was good to me that day as i did not make that assault across the open paddy. essex is a nightmare that i live every day
BLINDMAN

Return to 2/5 Forum Announcements & News